Please sort out the bank import - use your contractual relationship with the developers to get this resolved.
Every couple of days (or even less) I have to re-authorise the link to my bank account (Santander) - even though the Consent management page shows it was granted on 9th December and expires 18th March 2020.
This was one of the reasons I went with Kashflow initially - they did not use this appalling third party import routine for PayPal imports (for example) which was used by other larger accounting packages. I had tried it and it had similar issues then (2017) !
At the moment the bank import and PayPal imports are just frustrating.